Edson Arantes do Nascimento (Brazilian Portuguese: [ˈɛtsõ (w)ɐˈɾɐ̃tʃiz du nɐsiˈmẽtu]), better kent as Pelé (Brazilian Portuguese: [pe̞ˈlɛ], name gien as Edison on birth certificate, born 23 October 1940 – houiver, Pelé claims that he wis born on 23 October), is a retired Brazilian fitbawer.
Pelé in 2008
|Born||Edson Arantes do Nascimento|
21 October 1940
Três Corações, Brazil
|Thrift||Footballer (retired), humanitarian|
|Hicht||1.73 m (5 ft 8 in)|
|Hauf-marrae(s)||Rosemeri dos Reis Cholbi (m. 1966–1982)|
Assíria Lemos Seixas (m. 1994)
|Parents||Dondinho, Dona Celeste Arantes|
- Offeecial forename an birth date, as written on his birth certificate, are "Edison" an "21 October 1940":
CERTIDÃO DE NASCIMENTO
CERTIFICO que sob o n° 7.095 às fls. 123 do livro n° 21-A de Registro de Nascimento consta o assento de Edison Arantes do Nascimento nascido aos vinte e um (21) outubro de mil novecentos e quarenta (1940) às 03 horas e --- minutos em esta Cidade de Três Corações sexo masculino filho de João Ramos do Nascimento e de Celeste Arantes
Houever, Pelé haes always maintained that those are mistakes, that he was actually named Edson an that he wis born on 23 October 1940.
Pelé; Orlando Duarte; Alex Bellos (2006). Pelé : the autobiography. London: Simon & Schuster UK Ltd. p. 14. ISBN 978-0-7432-7582-8. Retrieved 2 October 2010.
Shortly before I came along, there was another arrival in Três Corações: electricity. In order to celebrate this great improvement to our daily lives, Dondinho named me Edson, a tribute to Thomas Edison, the inventor of the lightbulb. In fact, on my birth certificate I am actually called Edison with an 'i', a mistake that persists to this day. I'm Edson with no 'i', but to my eternal annoyance quite often the 'i' appears on official or personal documents and time after time I have to explain why. As if that wasn't confusing enough, they got the date wrong on my birth certificate as well – it says 21 October. I'm not sure how this came about; probably because in Brazil we're not so fussy about accuracy. This is another mistake that carries on to this day. When I took out my first passport, the date was put in as 21 October and each time I have renewed it the date has stayed the same.
- "Pelé and Maradona - two very different number tens". FIFA.com. Retrieved 14 October 2012
- Arantes, Edson (2007). My Life and the Beautiful Game: The Autobiography of Pele. Skyhorse Publishing. p. 108,. ISBN 1602391963.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- "The Great Creators". FIFA.com. Retrieved 14 October 2012
- "Pele edges Eusebio as Santos defend title". FIFA.com. Retrieved 14 October 2012
- Pelé: The Autobiography. London: Simon & Schuster UK Ltd. 2006. p. 41,. ISBN 978-1416511212.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- "Santos profile: Pele" . Santos Futbol Clube. Retrieved 14 October 2012
- "Attacking midfielder/‘Hole’ player" . Talk Football. Retrieved 14 October 2012
- Pele: Xavi. FIFA.com. Retrieved 14 October 2012
- Quand Pelé rêvait d'être Xavi . L'equipe. Retrieved 14 October 2012
- "NASL Player Profile – Pele". Nasljerseys.com. Retrieved 12 Juin 2010.