Joan Crawford (born Lucille Fay LeSueur; (Mairch 23, 190?[Note 1] – Mey 10, 1977) wis an American film an telly actress wha begoud her career as a dancer an stage shawgirl. In 1999, the American Film Institute ranked Crawford tent on its leet o the greatest female starns o Clessic Hollywood Cinema.
in 1936 photo bi George Hurrell
|Born||Lucille Fay LeSueur|
San Antonio, Texas, U.S.
|Dee'd||Mey 10, 1977 (aged 73)|
Manhattan, New York Ceety, U.S.
|Ferncliff Seemetry, Hartsdale, New York, U.S.|
|Thrift||Actress, dancer, business executive|
|Bairns||4, includin Christina Crawford|
|Pawrents||Thomas E. LeSueur|
Anna Bell Johnson
|Kin||Hal LeSueur (brither)|
- Crawford's year o birth is uncertain as various soorces claim 1904, 1905, 1906 an 1908. The 1910 census gae her age in Apryle 1910 as five year auld. Crawford hersel claimed 1908 (the date on her lair-stane), but maist modren biographers cite 1904 as the maist likely year.
Crawford's dauchter Christina, in the biografie Mommie Dearest (1978), states "1904" twice:
"Publicly her birth date was reported as March 23, 1908, but Grandmother told me that she was actually born in 1904.":20
"My mother was born Lucille LeSueur in San Antonio, Texas, in 1904, although when she came to Hollywood she lied about her age and changed the year to 1908.":66
- Time Magazine (23 Juin 1947). LIFE. Time-Life Inc. p. 45. ISSN 0024-3019.
(Originally appeared in Life, June 23, 1947) The year of Miss Crawford's birth has been variously identified as 1904, 1906, 1908 and 1909, the last being her own favorite..
- 1910 United States Federal Census Lrsesil Casson Birth:Circa 1905. Myheritage.com (1910 U.S. Federal Census Records)
- Scott Wilson (2016). Resting Places: The Burial Sites of More Than 14,000 Famous Persons, 3d ed. McFarland. p. 165. ISBN 978-1-4766-2599-7.
Crawford, Joan (Lucille LeSueur, March 23, 1904–May 10, 1977) San Antonio born film star.... Her ashes were placed in the vault beside the coffin of her husband, with the crypt listing her birth year as 1908.
- Lawrence J. Quirk; William Schoell (2002). Joan Crawford: The Essential Biography. University Press of Kentucky. p. 1. ISBN 978-0-8131-2254-0.
On March 23, 1904, in San Antonio, Texas, Anna Bell Johnson LeSueur gave birth to a little girl, whom she and her husband, Thomas, named Lucille Fay. Lucille was the couple's third child; another daughter, Daisy, had died in infancy, and Lucille's brother, Hal, had been born the previous year. (Many years later, when little Lucille was the famous woman known to the world as Joan Crawford, the year of her birth would mysteriously change to 1906 or 1908.)
- Thomas S. Hischak (2008). The Oxford Companion to the American Musical:Theatre, Film, and Television: Theatre, Film, and Television. Oxford University Press. p. 174. ISBN 978-0-19-533533-0.
Crawford, Joan [born Lucille Fay LeSueur] (1904-1977)
- David Bret (2009). Joan Crawford: Hollywood Martyr. Da Capo Press. p. 8. ISBN 978-0-7867-3236-4.
She was born Lucille Fay LeSueur, most likely on 23 March 1904 (though she always maintained it was 1908, when birth certificates became state mandatroy...)
- Mark Knowles (2009). The Wicked Waltz and Other Scandalous Dances: Outrage at Couple Dancing in the 19th and Early 20th Centuries. McFarland. p. 233. ISBN 978-0-7864-3708-5.
Joan Crawford was born Lucille Fay LeSueur in San Antonio, Texas on March 23, 1904. (After she was famous, the date of her birth mysteriously changed to 1906 or 1908)
- Liz Sonneborn (2002). A to Z of American Women in the Performing Arts. Infobase Publishing. p. 43. ISBN 978-1-4381-0790-5.
Joan Crawford was born Lucille Fay LeSueur in San Antonio, Texas, on March 23, 1904.)
- Peter Cowie (2009). Joan Crawford: The Enduring Star. University of Michigan. ISBN 978-0-8478-3066-4.
On March 23, 1908, by her own reckoning (although the real date may have been 1905, or even 1904), Lucille Fay LeSueur was born ...
- Jennifer Uglow (1991). Macmillan Dictionary of Women's Biography. Palgrave Macmillan UK. p. 140. ISBN 978-1-349-12704-7.
Crawford, Joan [stage name of Lucille Fay Le Suent] (1904–77).....
- Lynda G. Adamson (1999). Notable Women in American History: A Guide to Recommended Biographies and Autobiographies. Greenwood Press. ISBN 978-0-313-29584-3.
CRAWFORD, JOAN (1904-1977) Actor San Antonio, Texas Joan Crawford was an award-winning actor....
- Richard Alleman (2013). New York: The Ultimate Insider Tour of Movie New York. Random House. p. 476. ISBN 978-0-8041-3778-2.
Joan was born in 1904, and according to one Hollywood contemporary who knew Joan when, it was really closer to 1901..
- Christina Crawford (1979). Mommie Dearest. Berkley. ISBN 978-0-425-04444-5.